Dec 19

Query / Answer
What is your favorite black mix?
Great question! I look first at what colors I'm already using in a painting. If I can, I try to use colors already in my palette. The first black I remember Kay teaching was Winsor red and Winsor green. It's especially good if you want a thick rich dark that maybe has a hint of red or green. But I tried it once on a painting where my shadows were kind of purple and it was awful. I had to scrub it all out. I also really like indigo plus sepia. And ultramarine plus Indian red, though not quite black, can be amazing. And, surprising to me, indigo plus burnt sienna seems to go pretty black. I hate to think of all the combinations I'm forgetting about.
Mary B.

2016 Schedules
Updated: http://watercolor-sf.blogspot.com/p/schedules.html

Quote of the Week
"I can always be distracted by love, but eventually I get horny for my creativity." -Gilda Radner