Feb 23

All About Ultramarine

Ultramarine







The word ‘Ultramarine’ comes from the Latin ‘ultra’ meaning ‘beyond’ and ‘mare’ meaning ‘sea’, as this was how Lapis Lazuli first arrived in Europe.
Spotlight on Ultramarine


Ultramarine Blue and French Ultramarine




I've been wondering about the two Ultramarine for the longest time and decided to finally compare the two. By the way, I'm currently using French Ultramarine.
Difference Between the two PB29


French Ultramarine vs. Ultramarine Blue



The main reason for my choice of Ultramarine over French is that it makes better green. I am very grateful to my great friend Jane Blundell for first telling me this. At the Daniel Smith event we attended last year, John Coglan mentioned the difference between the two versions: French Ultramarine has a bigger particle size and is warmer (redder) than Ultramarine Blue.
French Ultramarine vs. Ultramarine Blue